9 TIPS ON HOW TO BE MINDFUL IN 5 MINUTES
Being mindful reduces anxiety and stress, increases body satisfaction and improves cognition, attention and sleep quality so it can only be a positive thing to bring into our lives.
How to be mindful
I’ve been using this simple method to be more mindful for as long as I can remember and I hope you benefit from it as much as I have.
- Find a place you can relax in and ideally won’t be disturbed.
- Get comfortable, this can be in any position you like- sitting, standing or lying down.
- Bring awareness to the body by breathing in and out deeply a few times.
- Bring attention to what is touching your body- clothes, chair, floor, bed.
- Notice any sensations, or lack of any over whelming sensations- buzzing, tingling, pressure, tightness, temperature, itching.
- You can do a systematic body scan, I like to do it starting from the feet and working up to the head. For each big muscle, focus on it then tense it and release.
- Each time your mind wanders (and it will be a lot when you first start), notice that it is happening and bring your attention back to your sensations or your body scan.
- At the end, take a moment to bring your attention back to your breathing and your body as a whole.
- Open your eyes and mindfully continue with your day.
I recommend you do this daily at the very least. I usually do it just before going to bed and it sends me off into a nice, deep sleep. I then also do it to get some space when things are getting too much, or when I have a spare 5 minutes.
Enjoy and let me know how you get on!