VEGAN CHRISTMAS MUSHROOM WELLINGTON
This Mushroom Wellington is the perfect option for Christmas lunch! So soft and tender on the inside yet crispy on the outside. This recipe serves 3 people as a main or 4 people with all the trimmings.
4 large portobello mushrooms
3 large onions
3 tablespoons of olive oil
300g of spinach
4 sprigs of thyme/1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- Dash of balsamic vinegar
1 pack of puff pastry
1 tablespoon of dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of vegan butter
Recipe for vegan Christmas Mushroom Wellington
- Heat half the oil and fry up the onions, once they start going translucent, add the balsamic vinegar. Stir until they are golden brown then place in bowl.
- Wilt the spinach and place in another bowl.
- Heat the remainder of the oil and fry up the whole mushrooms on both sides. Put them top up, on some kitchen roll along with the onions and spinach and place in the fridge until they are cold.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Roll out the pastry and place of grease-proof paper on a baking try. Place half the spinach and half the onions on the middle third of the pastry, leaving 1 inch at each end of the pastry.
- Spread the dijon mustard on the mushrooms and place on top of the other veg.
- Place the thyme and remainder of the spinach and onions on to the mushrooms.
- Carefully roll the pastry over the vegetable mixture and seal the edges with water. Turn the pastry log over so the seam is on the bottom and cover with melted butter. Optional: score the criss-cross on the pastry.
- Place in oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.