VEGAN LEEK AND MUSHROOM PIE
I came up with recipe when I was in need of a nice, satisfying meal and it was the perfect concoction, hot gooey inside topped with the crispy pastry and peas on the side.
3 boxes of mushrooms (~900g)
1 packet of shop bought vegan pastry
1 tablespoon of vegan butter
2 heaped tablespoons of flour
300ml of water or plant-based milk
400g green lentils
- 3 springs of thyme
- 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of melted vegan butter
Recipe for vegan leak and mushroom pie
- Add the lentils to boiling water and simmer until soft.
- Chop the leeks and put them in a large pan on a low heat with a dash or water or oil.
- Chop the mushrooms and add them to the leeks along with the thyme and seasoning, cook for 10 mins.
- In another pan, melt the butter and stir in the flour, then slowly add the water. If you do this slowly and continue stirring, you should be able to make it smooth. TOP TIP: alternatively chuck it all into a smoothie maker, blitz it then return it to the heat and stir to thicken it.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Drain any excess liquid from the veg and add the white sauce to the veg.
- Roll out the pastry, using flour if it is sticky.
- Put the veg and sauce into an oven proof dish, gently place the pastry on top and trim away the edges. Glaze pastry with melted butter or milk and pop in the over for 45 mins.