VEGETABLE AND TOFU STIR FRY
This quick vegetable and tofu stir fry has been a favourite of mine since I was vegetarian and remains a firm favourite now that I am vegan. Its best if you cook it fresh each time but your can prep all the components so its just a case of heating it up in the wok each meal.
- Extra firm tofu (120g per person)
- Kale (two handfuls per person)
- Spring onion (half per person)
- Pak choi (one bulb per person)
- Bean sprouts (one handful per person)
- Red peppers (half per person)
- Carrots (one per person)
- Defrosted frozen edamame beans
- Noodles- I use rice or udon noodles
- Garlic (one clove per person)
- Sesame seeds (one teaspoon per person)
For the Sauce
- Sesame oil (one teaspoon per person)
- Dark soy sauce (two teaspoons per person)
- Chilli flakes (one pinch per person)
- Tamarind (a garlic clove sized ball per person)
Recipe for quick vegetable and tofu stir fry
- Chop the tofu and mince the garlic then marinade then mix them up with a dash of soy sauce. If you can do this a few hours before all the better but I never do!
- Chop all the veg, where possible I do not peel the veg.
- Fry up the tofu until it starts to colour and put it to one side. While the tofu is frying you can combine all the ingredients for the sauce and whizz them up in a smoothie maker or mix them by hand.
- Depending on which noodles you have, at this point you would put them in boiling water if needed.
- Fry up the veg with a bit of sesame oil and when they show signs of softening, add the sauce, noodles and tofu, continue to stir and serve straight away.
You can get away with making an extra portion for the next day but it doesn’t keep very well any longer than that. What I often do is make enough sauce for a few meals, prep the veg and tofu all at once (keep the veg in a bowl of water) then each meal, I cook it up.